Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Week is a joint campaign from NHS England and Diabetes UK that takes place 22–28 May 2023.
The campaign aims to raise awareness of the risk of type 2 diabetes and how to avoid it. It will encourage the public to check their risk via the Diabetes UK Know Your Risk tool.
If someone is at moderate to high risk, the tool will advise them to contact their GP practice for a blood test. If their blood sugar levels show they’re at risk of developing type 2 diabetes (called pre-diabetes or nondiabetic hyperglycaemia), then they may be eligible for referral to their local Healthier You NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme – an evidence-based lifestyle change programme which helps people at risk of type 2 diabetes to reduce their risk through managing their weight, eating more healthily and being more physically active.
The campaign also encourages healthcare professionals to refer eligible people to the Healthier You NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.
Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Week 2022 toolkit and supporting assets (zip folder), including:
- Social media images – square and landscape sizes for use across all social media channels to raise awareness of type 2 diabetes, the risks and high risk groups
- Animations / GIFs – for sharing far and wide across social media, the web and WhatsApp to raise awareness of type 2 diabetes, the risks and high risk groups
- Social media copy – post copy to support the social media images and animations across all social media channels
- Banner – to add to websites and email signatures to encourage others to download their type 2 Diabetes Prevention Week toolkit
- PowerPoint slides – for presenting at any events about type 2 diabetes prevention
- #HealthierHack social media graphic template
- Poster – available for web and to download and print locally to display in local healthcare or community settings
- Leaflet – available to download print locally to display in local healthcare or community settings
All of the above were updated in April 2023.